Post-Brexit: do you have a sponsor licence?


Does your business rely on foreign talent (be it from the EU or outside the EU)? If so, you may need to obtain a sponsor licence.

From 1 January 2021, all UK businesses will need to hold a skilled worker licence in order to offer sponsored roles to non-settled persons. The application itself may look straight forward; however, employers should be careful of post sponsor licence duties and compliance.

Have you considered the below?

  • Have you completed a "right to work" check for all your employees and are you maintaining the right records?
  • Do you have a system in place for recording employees' absences, their updated contact details and addresses?
  • Do you have recruitment records including advertisement of vacancies, interviews records etc.? Can you show the Home Office that the vacancy is genuine?
  • Have you met the minimum requirements of annual gross salary for your sponsored employees? These are different to the national minimum wage, and each job title has a different minimum salary. The minimum salary requirement can also change as a result of the individual's age, level of qualification and whether the job is on the shortage occupation list.
Quote mark icon

All of this supports the government’s new immigration policy, ensuring that the brightest and best global talent can come to the UK for business purposes,' it read.  New travel restrictions will also come into force on January 1 for British citizens travelling to the EU as freedom of movement will no longer apply
featured image